ISLAND GREEN WOODWORKING




Thursday, August 13, 2009

Learn To Turn - Part 1

Let me introduce to you, my lathe. It’s a 79-year-old Power King 9” lathe. I paid 150.00 off a Craigslist seller, included with the lathe, a new Rockler brand duplicator (not pictured). My intent was not to turn bowls or vases. Strictly, for cleaning up table legs on refinishing work.




So I sent my friend and fellow woodworker Bob Kloes, ("Bob") that lives in Wisconsin, who by the way sells some of the most beautiful figured woods you will ever see, an e-mail if he knew of someone selling turning blanks. So Bob knows a guy and asked what I was looking for? My comment to Bob “I have no clue!” Bob said not to worry and got working on it. Well look what showed up at my doorstep. I have from left to right 1 Maple blank and 2-burl Maple blanks.

Folks the only thing I have ever turned on my lathe was a pine 2x4 just messing around with coves and beads, that’s it! Oh great…go from the frying pan into the fire. I have three (3) beautiful chunks of wood, and one looks like a turtles shell or a compressed heap of knurled tree, (which I think is the really special one).

No comments: