ISLAND GREEN WOODWORKING




Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Kehoe Jig For Making Spline Dovetails

In December 2008 the Kehoe Master Jig was a Charles Neil Contest prize which I was fortunate to win. Recently I had time to learn the basic jig. Before doing so, I suggest you watch the Charles Neil demonstration video first and along with the directions supplied with your jig.

I’m telling you this jig is super easy! Even easier if you already have experience machine cutting dovetails. The spline setup on the table saw was the most time consuming. But I would expect under an hour is probably about average for a first time . Next time I bet my setup should take less than 10 minuets. It’s the getting use to it part and test cuts making sure of a perfect fit.

Frankly, the supplied splines used as a gauge will get you as close to your fit as possible like Charles describes in the video. The two (2) setup cuts most time consuming will be table saw blade angle, necessary for a tight fit without gaps. The other is width of cut so splines center within the grove of your dovetail.

Kehoe Jig in position. If you have additional spring clamps in the shop, use them. I have four (4) holding the Jig down. Rather have a wee bit more holding power.

No comments: