ISLAND GREEN WOODWORKING




Sunday, May 17, 2009

Kehoe Jig Sled Setup

Here’s where you begin to work a little, the cool part. Now I didn’t pay that close attention to Charles in the Kehoe video (but I should of... I wasted a lot of time here where to start the index) but he did say it. Notice the picture and note the alignment of the stop (the thing with magnet attached) the sled and your wood. That is key, its your index point, you should now be ready to make your cut.

Here you will be making multiple test cuts to adjust your spline fit. First, set your blade angle as Charles instructs in the video. This is blade angle on your saw in relation to the angle of your dovetail cut, meaning insuring a proper fitting spline.

Second is the width of the spline. Set this up as Charles instructs in the video. I made a test cut using the pencil line which resulted in too wide of a spline. Note how I have moved away from my pencil line on the sled, this allows for a narrower spline. My goal is to have the spline centered in the dovetail cut.

Here the sled is through its full rang of motion. The sled must stop at the magnet or you will cut through the sled base! Cut and test cut and test!


No comments: